On jeudi 4 août 2022 19:16:02 CEST Rod Beck - rod.b...@unitedcablecompany.com
wrote:
> Why so much interest in Starlink in a country like France? Ghana, I would
> understand, but France has had a successful broadband deployment and
> actually a rather competitive DSL market.
>

> Roderick Beck

You simply got your assumption wrong. France did not have such a successful
broadband deployment and the DSL market is not really competitive.
There are still places where there is either no internet connection at all or
really crappy connection. Quite often this coincides with places where there
is poor mobile coverage if at all.
Sometimes even the usual satellite link is bad there, and starlink being low
orbit helps.

Fiber deployment has been a mess for years and now the historical operator
start closing down the copper network to strip the cables and sell the copper,
even before the fiber gets deployed.

This happens all over the country and though it is usually in the less
populated area, it still adds up to a number of people who are highly
interested in the first competition to happen that actually works and delivers.

best regards