I have a USB headseat that I like to use with my laptop from time
to time.  When I plug it in, it becomes a second sound device on
/dev/dsp1 instead of /dev/dsp.

I searched but I couldn't find a setting in Firefox to get it to
use a different device than /dev/dsp, so even with my head set in
the Flash player would use the laptop speakers when playing
videos (like at youtube.com).

I finally came across something that solves it.  I thought I'd
pass it around in case anyone else needs the solution.  It turns
out that programs like Flash and Totem (another I couldn't
customize) use the Alsa asound library.  You can customize your
devices in ~/.asoundrc

I can make it work with:

#----- begin ~/.asoundrc -----
pcm.!default {
    type hw
    card 1
}

ctl.!default {
    type hw
    card 1
}
#-----  end  ~/.asoundrc -----

Since sometimes I have the headset in and sometimes I don't, I
made a script called setaudio that would set things up for me.

#----- begin setaudio -----
#!/bin/bash

if [ -e /dev/dsp1 -a ! -e ~/.asoundrc ]; then
  cat > ~/.asoundrc << ASOUNDRC
pcm.!default {
    type hw
    card 1
}

ctl.!default {
    type hw
    card 1
}
ASOUNDRC
fi

if [ -e ~/.asoundrc -a ! -e /dev/dsp1 ]; then
  rm ~/.asoundrc
fi

exec "$@"
#-----  end  setaudio -----

Then I can just do:
$ setaudio firefox
 or
$ setaudio totem movie.avi

It will set the audio settings correctly and spawn the program.

Have fun.

Don

--
Don Bindner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>