Hi,

I have a brand-new fresh debian squeeze installation, with my account
being a normal user (sudoable) -- on a headless system.

Somehow I couldn't connect to any IRC channel by using irssi.

IRSSI would spit out:
Irssi: Unable to connect server irc.freenode.net port 6667 [Cannot
assign requested address: 208.69.36.132]

for any IRC channel I try to connect to. Sudoing solves the problem. So
I know I have some kind of permission related issue here but I don't
know how to fix it.

I could ping. Just that irc is blocked.

FYI:
$ id
uid=1000(wasabi) gid=1000(wasabi)
groups=20(dialout),24(cdrom),25(floppy),29(audio),44(video),46(plugdev),
1000(wasabi),1001(admin)