Friends,
Sorry to be the bearer of sad news.  We received a phonecall from Mario,
from Carasque, now living in Washington, letting us know news he'd just
heard.  On Friday night, two young people from the village, Ismael and
Nelson, who had just started as students at the University of Central
America in San Salvador, were riding a mini-bus in San Salvador.  The bus
was held up and robbed. Ismael was shot and killed, and Nelson was seriously
wounded with a knife.  Ismael was the son of the across-the-road neighbors
of the community house (Bangor house) where many of us have stayed in
Carasque.  His parents are Chepa and Don Felipe, and his sisters are Lupe,
who visited Bangor on the youth tour, and Angela, who is one of the popular
teachers.  We just spoke with Jesse, who spent the day in Carasque at the
mass and burial.  He and Ismael were good friends.  He describes the whole
community as utterly distraught with sadness at this senseless loss.  Ismael
was a gentle young man who had just accomplished the incredibly difficult
task of getting into the university.  Everyone is really worried about
Nelson, who is still in the hospital in critical care.  Jesse will be going
back out to the community in a week.  If you'd like to send any messages
along with him, you can email Jesse by Saturday, at [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Meanwhile, we hold our Carasque brothers and sisters in our hearts.
 With love, Katherine

Jonathan Falk
RR 2, Box 7162
Carmel, ME 04419