Just wanted to address the comment made by Niklas that a password
should always be required:

Just reading back the RFC 4217, and found this:

Note 2: The PASS command might not be required at all (if the USER
   parameter and any client identity presented provide sufficient
   authentication).  The server would indicate this by issuing a '232'
   reply to the USER command instead of the '331', which requests a PASS
   from the client (see below).

So, it looks like we now do have a standard.

Sai Pullabhotla