I don't know a great deal about Android, but in principle you shouldn't
need to do anything different from standard Java.

I suggest you attach a debugger to your Android app and put a breakpoint at
server.start().

Either the breakpoint won't trigger, meaning you need to find out why your
code isn't being reached, or you'll be able to step through server
initialisation, to see what exceptions (if any) are being thrown and
handled.

--
"There is no way to peace; peace is the way"