Hi, I just tried that out and it worked form me on FtpServer-1.1.0. This is
what I did:

0. Downloaded the latest FtpServer zip file and extracted it.
1. Created a new folder called \res\messages
2. Added a new file called FtpStatus.gen
3. Added my custom message for login like so:

220=JESTER ready for connection. WARNING! All activity on this site is
monitored and tracked. Authorised personnel only.

4. Edited the res\conf\ftpd-typical.xml file to add the following element under
the <server> tag:

<messages directory="./res/messages" />

5. Started ftpserver under a cmd shell, passing in the config file to use:

Bin\ftpd.bat \res\conf\ftpd-typical.xml

6. Connected to it using ftp client built into Windows 7 via the command prompt
on port 2121

Observed that the 220 greeting showed my new message.

In production, I actually set the custome messages using a message factory when
I am setting up the ftp server instance.

 ------------------------------ cut --------------------

FtpServerFactory factory = new FtpServerFactory();

                //Customised server messages (optional)
                String customMessageFile =
config.getPropertyAsString("server.customMessages");
                if ( customMessageFile != null) {
                        LOG.debug("Custom message resource specified: " +
customMessageFile);
                        File f = new File(customMessageFile);
                        if (f.exists()) {
                                LOG.debug("Message file exists, configuring.");
                                MessageResourceFactory messageFactory = new
MessageResourceFactory();
                                messageFactory.setCustomMessageDirectory(f);

factory.setMessageResource(messageFactory.createMessageResource());
                        } else {
                                LOG.error("Custom message bundle
\""+customMessageFile + "\" specified, but does not exist. Not loaded.");
                        }
                }

Best Regards,
Gary.