So I found a way to run it.

I tried to Download the binary, but it is not downloading well. But
anyways, in the page for downloading[1], in the bottom, they gave me the
hint to checkout a tag: ftpserver-1.1.1.

So from the repo, I checked it out and followed the instructions of the
"Developing/Building guide"[2]

mnv install failed, but the `mvn package` from the distribution folder
worked nice, created the tar.gz and then I was able to follow the whole
"Stand Alone" tutorial.

Note, I was not able to do it from the master branch. Both maven commands
failed.

[1] https://mina.apache.org/ftpserver-project/download_1.1.1.html
[2] https://mina.apache.org/ftpserver-project/building.html