On 9/7/06, Susan Bradley, CPA aka Ebitz - SBS Rocks [MVP]
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Better workaround is to upgrade.

[chokes on his coffee]

What ... you mean "upgrade to a later version of Word" ?

I don't think I'll ever be doing that, unless you can show me some
really horrible thing in Word 2000, that outweighs all the excess
bloat in Office XP/2003 - new-fangled Clippy-nonsense, and additional
code (providing new attack surface) implementing new features that I
just don't want.   You'll probably recall that IT variation on an old
cliche : "80% of people only use 20% of Word's features" ....

Word 2000 does it for me - and for everybody else I've ever talked to
about this topic.  The only people with Office XP/2003 that I know are
people who got it bundled with a new PC.  Everybody else upgrades to,
and then sticks with, Word 2000 - glad to have gotten off the horrible
treadmill of Office upgrades required *just* to exchange documents
with other people on newer versions.  MS, bless them, seem to have
preserved .doc-file forwards compatibility across versions 2000 and
later.  Of course, now I've said that in public ..... ;)

So, no - I don't think a Word upgrade is an answer for most folks.

Cheers,
Nick Boyce
--
The person who says it cannot be done
should not interrupt the person who is doing it.