source: http://www.bevoost.com/?p=287

Sometimes I can manage to avoid menstruation, genital herpes and erectile
dysfunction commercials for days at a time.  Somehow, though, the television
network marketing executives have esoteric knowledge of when I'm visiting my
parents and watching TV with my mother.  She suddenly screams, "Have they no
shame?  I've developed and/or adopted some techniques for dealing with these
embarrassing moments.

Technique #1:  Talk Over the Commercial.  To execute this technique
effectively, you have to divert the topic away from the commercial immediately.
 Always be prepared with a diversion topic.  Have a question ready that your
mother won't have to pause and think about before answering.  This is an
effective technique, but it is difficult to execute.  So be prepared.

Technique #2:  Bathroom/Kitchen Break.  As soon as the commercial comes on,
announce loudly and clearly that you have to go to the bathroom.  Jump up and
move urgently.  Hide in the bathroom until you feel it's safe to come out.  Use
the kitchen as a contingency plan in case the commercial break is not yet
completely finished.  It is very important to not return until your program is
on again.  Otherwise, you, assuming that the commercial break is soon over,
could return prematurely and be subject to a surprise attack.

Technique #3 Play dumb and oblivious. This technique can be employed after your
mother has already acknowledged the commercial by her scream.  It is too late
now to break away to the bathroom or kitchen.  And it would be too awkward to
change topic.  So just play dumb – "Oh, is that one of those commercials about
erectile dysfunction?  I didn't notice…" – until you can find the right time to
employ technique #1 or #2.