Girlfriend 6.1 Upgrade

However, I do like some of the features that you are planning to include in the
upcoming Girlfriend 6.1 release:

1. The "Don't remind me again" button
2. A Minimize button
3. The Shutdown feature
4. An install shield feature so that Girlfriend can be completely uninstalled
if necessary (so you don't lose cache and other objects)

Unfortunately, since I've already upgraded to Wife 1.0, I don't think I will be
able to take advantage of any of these new features, unless you decide to
include them in the next Mistress release. But, of course, there is a whole
raft of problems associated with the use of Mistress 1.0 and Wife 1.0 on the
same system - most notably are system conflicts and continual disk thrashing,
which starts shortly after Wife 1.0 detects Mistress 1.0.

Interestingly enough, all versions of PersonalLawyer still work fine. Finally,
Wife 1.0 apparently deletes all MSMoney files before uninstalling itself;
following that, Mistress 1.1 will refuse to install, claiming insufficient
resources.

I personally find all these new tools and conflicts to be too confusing and
time consuming. I'm sticking with Dog 1.0b3. It slobbers and chews up the
paper, but all in all these bugs are tolerable. It is simple to operate and we
get along fine.

Upgrade to Wife 1.0

Last year, I upgraded my GirlFriend 5.0 to GirlFriend 5.1, which installs
itself as Fiancee 1.0. Recently, I upgraded Fiancee 1.0 to Wife 1.0 and it's a
real memory hog. It has taken up all my space, and Wife 1.0 must be running
before I can do ANYTHING.

It is also spawning Child Processes that are further consuming system
resources. Some applications, such as PokerNight 10.3, BeerBash 2.5, and
PubNight 7.0 are no longer able to run in the system at all.

Additional plug-ins were automatically installed, such as Mother-In-Law 55.8,
and there is no uninstall feature for these plug-ins. No mention of these
behaviors was discussed in the brochures or documentation, although other users
have reported similar problems.

Because of this, some users that I know have decided to avoid the headaches
associated with these upgrades, and simply move from Girlfriend 5.0 to
Girlfriend 6.0. Unfortunately, this is not without its perils either, as all
traces of Girlfriend 5.0 must be removed from the system before attempting
installation of 6.0.

Even then, Girlfriend 6.0 will repeatedly run system checks (usually in the
background, and often late at night when the system is asleep) to find evidence
of previous versions. To cap it off, Girlfriend 6.0 apparently has a nag
feature reminding about the advantages of upgrading to Wife 1.0.