[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 13:24:22 +1200, Nick FitzGerald said:
>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>>
>>> The sad part is that somebody *without* much of an operation was making
>>> $15K/week.
>> Maybe, but profit or turnover?
>
> If you're a spammer, your major expenses are probably bandwidth and legal.
> If you're paying anywhere near that much per week for either of those, you
> have some *major* problems...
>
> If he was using a botnet and wasn't collecting the vast majority of that
> $10-15K as profit, he needs to be forcibly removed from the gene pool.

Valdis,

I believe the figures he quoted for one particular pharma spam
'campaign' were along the lines of:

40 million spams emails sent
0.12% click through rate = 48,000 click throughs
Click through to sale ratio 1/200
Total sales = 240
Total sales revenue = $37,440

Spammer commission rate = 50%
Total spammer income = $18,720

Running costs:
4 day botnet rental     $6,800
Buying email addresses  $4,000
Bullet proof hosting    $230
Total running costs     $11,030

Net profit              $7,690

Assuming he doesn't pay taxes, that is about a 20% margin on the total
scheme turnover for the spammer, for 2-3 hours of real work.

The rough overall money distribution for the entire scam was:

Pharma-scam owner       $18,720
Spammer                 $7,690
Botnet master           $6,800
Address collector       $4,000
Bulletproof hoster      $230

So it is the scam owners who made the most money, with the spammer and
botmaster splitting roughly the same amount (although each probably
works with multiple 'clients' like the pharma scam owner).

Thanks,

David

--
David Watson