Jon Kibler wrote:

> Anton Chuvakin wrote:
>>> same answer: "I don't participate in security theater." I think this
>> First, I am amazed how people so intelligent can hold opinions so
>> shortsighted :-)
>
> I unquestionably stand by my assertion that PCI DSS is pure security
> theater at its worst. Perhaps you do not understand the concept of
> "security theater"?

Security theater does in fact have uses. Secrecy can be a strong line of
defense and psychological barriers are in fact barriers, as we are
dealing with human beings. So, security by obscurity is an extremely
useful tool, the problem is when it is the only one, it then becomes a
single, lonely, point of failure, and potentially a waste of resources
(TSA).

Naming misuse of Security by Obscurity "Security Theater" gives it
negative connotations. It already had enough on its own. I'd be
interested in how people implement it successfully, as obviously the way
the industry just disses on it, is raising a generation of security
professionals who don't understand secrecy or how human nature is
manipulated positively, rather than just negatively.

I don't see anyone here dissing on the underline concept of egress
filtering just because most frak it up. Think for yourselves, people.

Semi related, Imri and I wrote an article on how security theater can
work, and how it in fact helps stop terrorist bombing in Israel. You can
find it here:
http://www.csoonline.com/article/468569/Sometimes_Security_Theater_Really_Works
(URL may break, so: http://tinyurl.com/5u2qmq)

        Gadi.