----------
Hi Sally,

I've been a lurker on the FW list for several years, often passing on
pieces to my friends on a list for progressive Democrats here
in California.

I wonder if you or anyone else is thinking about what else will change
as we come to work less (or not at all).

Commute traffic will greatly decrease along with the need for the
infrastructure that supports it, police, auto repair, gas stations
and their suppliers, eateries, highway signs, road construction and
repair, etc.

People will not need as many business suits, cleaners, shoe shine stands,
etc.

We won't be needing as many business lunches, conventions and
teleconferencing and business air travel.

We won't be needing direct mail advertising and third class mail as we
come to depend more on email and the web.

We won't need as many trade schools and business schools, business journals,
trade magazines, stock market reports and investment councilors and brokers.

When we add it all up, the changes in the economy are so huge that it is
very challenging to understand what life would be like. And harder to
understand if we would be any happier.

It all depends on how the economy is structured, of course. How will
purchasing power be distributed? Will there be rich and poor? Will the
smart be better off than the less-smart? Will parents be able to pass on
wealth to their heirs?

Some people will be required to design new tools and manage the old, but
productivity is assumed to be so high that many fewer are required. It is
difficult to predict what will become of product diversity and consumer
choice. Will there be only a limitted selection of products because only
the most efficient producer will dominate the supply chain?

I suspect that all this is discussed in academic circles and I don't have
the time to pursue this further, but it all makes for interesting reading
for us occassional listeners-in.

dennis paull,
los altos, california