I think the problem is the "we" and "them" situation, and I'm afraid
you were perceived as "them". Why should they do something boring,
when they could play? The low level computer skills that are on offer
on these courses are not getting you a job. (I've been there, done
it, got the tshirt...)  Why should they attempt to get a crappy job
that hardly pays more than the assistance? Why should they take all
the lecturing and the usual smug contempt of "helpers"
with any other attitude?
For decent jobs with decent wage there are too many applicants, and
if you were out of work or never worked your chance is zilch.
You never heard anything else in school, but that you are stupid and
the experience was humiliating and boring. Why would they volunteer
for what they think is more of the same?

If there was a basic income type of thing and free choice
of free education with interested, not overworked and harrassed
teachers, the confidence
would come back with the
change from exclusion to inclusion.

Eva

> Yeah, we creative types really dream of the end of 'wage slavery' !
> I could spend years and years only with creative hobbies, NGO volunteering
> and the Net, but alas, the 'job' work gets in the way most of the time.
> However, in a part of the NGO work  I got to know a different kind of
> persons:  When I created a social programme for unemployed people, I naively
> thought they could be put to a (low-level, low-intensity) task and simply do
> the work all day, or even find own ideas to work something useful.  Wrong.
> 90% of them did nothing (except reading the newspaper, chatting/arguing,
> and other nonsense), unless someone advised them "every move" all the time.
> I offered them a variety of opportunities, even a computer system to work
> with, and individual courses on it.  But they ended up with playing computer
> games.  They didn't ask me for new projects, but for new games after they
> got bored of the old ones.  You may say: "See, you're not a social worker..".
> But the 'managers' of other similar programmes confirmed the attitude of
> the participants.  Note: The official purpose of those programmes is to
> give the unemployed a structure to increase their chances to get back into
> the working mill  err process.
>
> Now, I don't put the blame on those individuals.  Rather, I think it was
> "the system" that made them like that.  Actually, at least in 'lower'
> positions, corporations don't seem to want employees with "own brains", but
> they want "wage slaves".  It will take huge educational and psycho-social
> efforts to prepare these people for the Basic Income society, or they will
> end up in even more boredom, despair and drugs.
>
> Greetings,
> Chris

[EMAIL PROTECTED]