I agree with Arthur,

I think we are too much involved with the "change and progress" cult which more
resembles an addiction to novelty, than  a logical plan of action.    IMO change
does little without understanding the whole problem as well as having serious
long term knowledge of the implications of that change.

I have been lurking on the list for a while, writing a book for our community's
children on the Judeo-Christian,  European American (JCEA) approach to First
Nations' (Five Civilized Tribes Cherokee) policies.  In the U.S. the last three
hundred years of Cherokee (my people)  and JCEA relations has been literally
unbelievable.  The results and histories of these little "laboratories on the
'validity' of Western progress myths"  are usually ignored in favor of a simple
affirmation of those myths.   And yet the total failure of the Western beliefs
is there for all to see, if studied.  But study seems an inconvenience to many.

Frankly I think that there is little serious study in the West, but a lot of the
"stuffing of words" down the throats and in the ears of those who are powerless
to stop it.   As an example in point consider that both the Cherokee and the
Osage nations at various times within the last 100 years,  were the most
affluent and successful societies in the world.  Surprise!   It wasn't the
alcohol, but the Christianity and the business legislation that literally
infantalized them in the eyes of the law and gave them corrupt JCEA lawyers as
guardians of their wealth.  At the same time, our (the Cherokee's)  "dependent
nation status" meant that we had no access to the courts to fight the local
self-serving, so-called "empirical" beliefs about why we were so powerless.   As
my father used to tell me as an explanation for our being "in the hiding
bushes:"     "if your sister was raped by a white man,and they knew we were
Cherokee, we would have not recourse in the courts" and he (with his Ph.D.)
would be given a court appointed guardian to supervise his "incompetance" to
handle wealth.   After that law was repealed in 1936,  a local chief  W.W.
Keeler became CEO of Phillips Oil and President of the National Association of
Manufacturers.

This history would serve anyone well, who wished to look into it, as a case
study in the uselessness of "know-it-all" attitudes, manifested in the JCEA's
mythology of progress, preached by non empirical preachers who believe the world
is 6,500 years old but profess the value of science.  You figure it!   I give
up.  I have work to do.

REH