All I know, that Hungary couldn't have rebuilt
the terrible destruction of the war without
soviet energy and raw material, and
that hungarian shops always had more food
in them - even in the early 50s -
than the soviet ones.
I suppose we should stop referring to anecdotal evidence,
perhaps some figures are available somewhere.
I guess they stripped a load of assets -
I doubt if this was pre-meditated, probably
the motive was to revenge (or being seen to
revenge) the fascists. As Czechoslovakia
was more of an occupied country and not
a fascist ally as Hungary, I am puzzled.
Though they also had a better developed industry -
perhaps there was more to take.

Eva