----- Original Message -----

>The other question is whether the upswing in energy around Y2K and
>funddamental change will lead to attempts of various
>people/organizations to centralize energy flows or whether we shall be
>wise enough to set up decentralized/chaordic structures.

http://www.cascadepolicy.org/dee_hock

"By Chaord, I mean any self-organizing, adaptive, nonlinear, complex
community or system, whether physical, biological or social, the behavior of
which exhibits characteristics of both order and chaos. Or, more simply
stated, a Chaord is any chaotically ordered complex."

Hock seems to be saying that Chaord is nature's way of organizing.
 Do list members agree?

>>What problem do they solve?
>
>hierarchy/dictatorship problems

If there is no hierarchy, how can chaordic structures limit the scale of the
aggregate human enterprise?

If there is no hierarchy, how can chaordic structures allocate resources
under conditions of "absolute scarcity"?

Jay
COMING SOON TO A LOCATION NEAR YOU!
http://dieoff.com/page1.htm