I've received the following, rather fragmentary and unclear,
second-hand account of a report heard on a CBC broadcast:

    The Canadian immigration department has an agreement with a
    company that involves training home support workers in the
    Philippines who will then be admitted preferentially to Canada to
    work as in some aspect of home care.  They will work for a year
    for free in exchange for the training and prefererential
    admittance to Canada.

Does anyone know anything about this deal?  What company is
involved?  NGOs involved?  Where I can find Citizenship & Immigration
Canada info about this?  Anyone hear the broadcast and remember it in
more detail or remember any key names? (It may have been a TV
broadcast that my friend heard over an audio-only link.)

Home support workers in Canada are just now getting organized to
demand respectable wages for their work and the responsibility they
take.  An organized government strategy to import workers who will
presumably work for minimal wages may support the fantasy that home
care is a free-lunch substitute for expensive "health care" but it will
undermine the many attractive benefits of home care and make it
increasingly hard to attract competent and responsible people to do
the work.

Further info ardently sought.

Regards,
- Mike

--
Michael Spencer              Nova Scotia, Canada
[EMAIL PROTECTED]