Michael Gurstein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> quoted:

>Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 16:54:14 -0800
>From: Ed Deak <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Subject: WTO Chief Proposes World Environment Organization
>
>Forwarded without comment, except: Does anybody believe this sob? Ed.
>>
>>++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>>WTO Chief Proposes World Environment Organization
>>
>>GENEVA, Switzerland, March 15, 1999 (ENS) - The World Trade Organization's
>>(WTO) High-Level Symposium on Trade and the Environment that opened today
>>in Geneva was highlighted by a call from WTO director-general, Renato
>>Ruggiero, to create a World Environment Organization parallel to the World
>>Trade Organization.

[...]

It's hard not to be cynical about this item. I can just see a group of
globalization zealots, still licking their wounds after the MAI fiasco,
sitting around a table scheming, with words like "optics", "buzzwords",
"spin", "sustainable" and soforth flying about as they hatch a plot to
coopt the "green" crowd to their multilateral agenda. The WTO would be
just about the last people on earth I'd entrust with the task of
formulating a multilateral environmental agreement. Coming soon: a
whole planet of stripmall hell.
                                         -Pete Vincent