Riane Eisler, in her books "The Chalice and the Blade" and "Sacred
Pleasure", which report and interpret up-to-date interpretations of
palaolithic archeology, shows that violence and domination are far from
being natural human traits.

On the contrary. The evidence strongly suggests that our original
foreparents were egalitarian in their practices, with agricultural
surpluses and advanced cultural development, but with no signs of
fortification that would suggests the need for defence from others. This
contradicts the commonly held patriarchal assumptions that agricultural
surplus was the necessary and sufficient condition for domination and war.
These societies valued the feminine power to create life over the masculine
power to take it.

There is some evidence that climatic changes in central Asia precipitated a
gradual change to sky god worshipping, male dominant and dominating modes
of social organization. These changes are thought to have been associated
with loss of agricultural productivity which resulted mass migrations and
ultimate overrunning of the peaceful populations they encountered, while
taking on a modifyied form of the cultures they conquered. The most recent
of such invasions, and hence the only one in recorded history, was Mycenian
invasion of Crete. From this material, it seems that the history of
conquest and domination that we assume to be human nature, is really an
historical blip of a mere 5,000 years.