For those who are anticipating the possibility of ICT leading to a
decentralization of work, the paper referred to below should be rather
sobering.

Prochnik's findings for transnational firms in Brazil corresponds to my
more anecdotal experience, that rather than facilitating decentralization,
ICT is likely to lead to the recentralization of corporate activities.
(The pipe runs two ways...

Those activities, such as finance and accounting, marketing, advertising,
personnel management and so on which in many cases have been decentralized
to local hubs because of cost and the need for a degree of "localization",
may with the expansion of ICT bandwidth be recentralized by putting more
information up the pipe to HQ--including CSCW/audio/video and so on...

Comments

Michael Gurstein, Ph.D.
ECBC/NSERC/SSHRC Associate Chair in the Management of Technological Change
Director:  Centre for Community and Enterprise Networking (C\CEN)
University College of Cape Breton, POBox 5300, Sydney, NS, CANADA B1P 6L2
Tel.  902-563-1369 (o)          902-562-1055 (h)        902-563-1336 (fax)
[EMAIL PROTECTED]      Http://ccen.uccb.ns.ca         ICQ: 7388855