In the last Canadian federal election, Paul Hellyer, former minister of
defence in the Trudeau cabinet, formed a party to argue exactly that: there
is always money to fight a war - why not fight a war on unemployment,
increase our tax base, and get prosperity going for the whole country,
increasing the level of services and benefits for all. It seemed so logical
that it had to be fringe. I was running for the Green Party in the same
riding, so I heard his speech at an all candidates meeting - made a lot of
sense. He had tried for years to get one of the main parties to listen, but
finally started his own (can't even remember the name). He lost, by a huge
margin, naturally.