Dear Svetlana,

The irony of my reply comes not from an elite enjoyment of exemption but
from too intimate an identification with the work you do and how it relates
to what you study. For years I wrote proposals, received funding and worked
on research projects on social problems. Just as you do now.

Then, five years ago, I had the misfortune of having two of my most
important [provincially funded] institutional contacts de-funded at the same
time as the Canadian federal government initiated large cutbacks in funding
for research.

For five years now, I have received exact instruction in how beggars must
feel when they expose their need to unsympathetic citizens. Not only do my
proposals get turned down, I have been verbally attacked by the prospective
funders who view a polite and carefully explained funding proposal as an
uninvited attempt to climb aboard their "life boat" (the exact words of one
prospect!).

I do still get lots of calls from radio stations, magazines and newspapers
who are very interested in my area of research and eager to have my comments
on topical issues (for free, of course), so it's not as if my research
skills are out of date. They have just been made redundant by a funding
establishment that doesn't want to know about the things my research will show.

If, instead of interogating beggars as the "subjects" of your research, you
essayed to examine how the elites manufacture and manipulate the "problem"
of begging, your funding would be nil. Instead, in your proposal, you have
cunningly (like a successful beggar) honed in on how your funders want to
think of themselves -- "we're concerned, we're compassionate . . . we're not
responsible" -- and flatter those illusions.

Another suggestion for your literature review: Oedipus Rex by Sophocles. Pay
special attention to the part where Teiresias tells Oedipus that it was he,
Oedipus, who murdered Laius and brought the plague on Thebes:

Teiresias: . . . You, Oedipus, are the desecrator, the polluter of the land!
Oedipus: You traitor! Do you think that you can get away with this?

And there you have the first rule of social research.

regards,

Tom Walker
http://www.vcn.bc.ca/timework/covenant.htm