First time I've spotted something in a national newspaper re usury-free
investment vehicles... this is the first part of a longer article about
investment funds in the Guardian's Saturday financial section (remainder
snipped as moved onto other investment schemes). Of potential significance
is the demographic point made at the end about the Asian descent
population in Britain...

I'm totally intolerant of a number of Islamic attitudes - towards
women in particular, repugnant and repressive in varying degrees
(although aware of a range within the various cultures of Islam I find
all of them intolerable to some degree).

However, I'm very supportive of many elements of economic principles, the
elements of concept of community, and the approach to usury and the
sharing of risk and benefit when the moral principles are applied
properly...

We might find ourselves making some interesting allies in the 21st
century...

How do we relate to the positive elements whilst rejecting the intolerable
elements - and trying to change those to ones which are acceptable? I
maintain my personal right, and my culture's rights, to hold "fundamental
values" re issues such as liberty, race or gender relations and the
corresponding right to reject and oppose others which seek to repress or
control the access to these fundamental rights.

However, this does not presume that our western values in other areas
might not also be in for a much-needed shake up through this sort of multi
cultural contact... I have no illusions that western, European society or
culture is perfect, even if some elements of it I will (literally) defend
to the death!

Benefit may/will come from the expunging of elements of our social values
which are repugnant and insufferable, and which Islamists (and others!)
validly point to as they leap out at them, whilst we may be unaware or not
see the relevance or importance. Touche, as they say.

Hopefully, if the imbalance of power and repression by the west is
altered, we may be able to correspondingly genuinely influence and bring
about change in unacceptable elements of other cultures as much as our
dark corners may be exposed and cleaned out...?

The Guardian Saturday March 6 1999

Islam enter world of ethical investor

Fancy a flutter with a fund that refuses to accept any income from
interest? Robin Stoddart investigates a new venture

ETHICAL funds are well established in the UK and when tobacco shares and
British Aerospace went into a spin last year they were able to outperform
for a while. Now religion is a factor for the first time, giving rise to a
new Islamic fund launch.

After some doubts in past centuries, usury is an accepted feature of
Christian and capitalist economies, although savers facing an income
squeeze due to the recent decline in interest rates may not see it that
way.

The Al Safa open-ended investment company being launched by City Fund
Managers, rejects interest altogether. Supervised by Islamic scholars
versed in Shari'a law, capital growth will be the target of the fund. It
will invest mainly among the top UK companies in the FTSE 100 and 250
indices that meet the test.

Banks are out and Al Safa, called after a mountain near Mecca in Saudi
Arabia, will decline interest income. After the launch this month, dealing
in the shares will be based on Monday morning valuations.

A good response is likely as the rapidly-growing Muslim community is the
most dynamic in terms of new entrants to employment, not least in the
City. Generally well-educated and family-oriented young people of Asian
ancestry form one of the higher earning and spending segments of the UK
population. <snip>