Yes, Tom, YES.  That is what I was thinking about, and I would love to
know more (maybe sending it privately if onthers on this list aren't
intersted).

Here is the book you were probably thinking of: John Diebold, Automation:
the advent of the automatic factory. Van Nostrand, 1952, although he did
write others.

Anyone have other examples?