On Fri, 27 Feb 1998, Durant wrote:

> > > I do not think our solution will come from industrialists or from
> > > politicians.  I think our solution will come from re-educating the public to
> > > think of what they want and then to demand that in a way that those in power
> > > become powerless to refuse.  That education can come from a disaster or it
> > > can come from frustration with the inequalities of the present situation.
> >
> >     How does this happen?  The re-educators have to have legitimacy.
> >
> >     Where do they 'teach', how are they paid, why will anyone listen
> > to them.
> >

> What implied  - if time runs out - is the force of circumstance and experience, the
> best educators.  When there will be no other choice
> and people take over their
> workplaces, they will notice that they can manage them
> without the "legitimacy" of shareholders. What legitimacy do you mean?

        I was thinking about the way in which, for example, someone
speaking at Hyde Park might be listened to vs. someone, saying much the
same sort of thing, speaking from Cambridge of from Downing St. or from
the City.  Sparking the willingness to make internal shifts rests on trust
of the communicator.

        arthur cordell