I think that with concerns for personal autonomy vis a vis the collective,
especially given the "automated work" scenario that Rivkin proposes, local
economic systems which include personal money become more important. Rather
than deceptively simple concepts, personal money systems like LETS are
elegant in their simplicity. The effects of use, in our experience, do
indeed foster community and human interaction, exactly the oposite of state
intervention, while accomplishing many of the same goals.