Well, I usually find myself agreeing with Arthur but coming from that group
that you all are lionizing, I would have to respectfully disagree.  The issue
for me is life experience, education and professionalism.    The issue with
U.S. politicians is one of time.  American Politicians are elected at different
intervals and in some cases are term limited.   The governments don't fall
if an Executive loses a vote as in the Parliamentary systems.   In the near
future we will see how the two systems compete in handling the competition
between a United Europe that is basically parliamentary and the United
States which is not.

Also the issues of wisdom are not IMO really the point.  Buckley exists
in a very small group of wealthy and super-wealthy who are insular and
very uncomfortable with the products of general elections.  They so
mistrust professionalism among politicians that they believe their only class
protection is an impotent government and term limits that couldn't
possibly allow the building of a serious professionalism amongst those
elected.

In the last few years I have seen life experience amongst politicians
demeaned by the wealthy, to the point that a long elected history means
that the person is "not able to get a job in the 'real' world" and is almost
on "welfare."  The fact that they are so miserably underpaid and so
little controlled by the wealthy just makes it all that much worse as far
as the Buckley crowd is concerned.   Imagine the CEO of ITT only
receiving $275,000 a year in salary.     What kind of CEO would be
willing to take such a low salary for twenty-four hour a day work?
You may add in a "house" that when the job is terminated goes to the
next CEO with a job limit of 8 years and a review every four.

The fact that the local 100 names of the Boston telephone directory
believes that this will get them committed professional public servants
(and they do) casts great doubt in my mind on their wisdom and
sophistication.  How about our letting them be responsible for the
budget of the country instead and treat highly trained professional
economists in the same fashion as politicians?    I wouldn't even
support that and you realize how often economists have taken hits
from me on this list.

I believe in the value of life experience, education and professionalism.
The problem for me is the "Jude the Obscure" issue.  How to recognize
and reward the person who against overwhelming odds develops their
own expertise and who breaks the bonds of the normal systems to
achieve a breakthrough.  It has often been stated that Rodin's "Thinker"
was destroyed by the establishment and that van Gogh never sold a
painting except to a relative.  That is used as a reason for not respecting
traditional knowledge and education.   But when you destroy traditional
context what you get is a lack of loyalty and a rise in chaos.

So for me the problem is how to develop the normal person to their highest
potential while avoiding the "Peter Principle" and yet make room for the
genius or the breakthrough.  Those to me are not problems that can be
solved by systems but must be solved by culture and a heightened
sophistication of the entire culture.

REH