---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 1999 01:14:57 -0800
From: ernie yacub <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: C4LDEMOC-L: Worldwide y2k warning by US State Dept

PUBLIC ANNOUNCEMENT
U.S. DEPARTMENT OF STATE
Office of the Spokesman

Y2K Worldwide Notice - Public Announcement
January 29, 1999

On January 1, 2000, some computer-based systems throughout the world may be
unable to process information correctly, causing unpredictable results,
including system malfunctions. Many businesses and governments are actively
engaged in addressing potential Y2K problems and may experience little or
no noticeable disruption in essential services. However, others with more
limited resources or expertise, or who are not paying appropriate attention
to the problem, may experience significant difficulties. In countries that
are not prepared, the Y2K problem could affect financial services,
utilities, telecommunications, transportation and other vital services. It
is difficult to forecast where the Y2K problem will surface, and some
problems could even appear before January 1, 2000. Areas of particular
concern are:

Some transportation systems abroad could be affected by computer problems.
Although the major airlines have been in the forefront of preparing for
potential Y2K problems, U.S. citizens should be aware of the potential for
disruption of transportation services and factor that into their overall
travel plans.

Financial institutions outside the United States may experience
difficulties. U.S. citizens abroad should not assume that credit cards, ATM
machines, international banking transactions, etc. will operate normally in
all locations throughout the world.

U.S. citizens abroad with special medical requirements should not assume
that all medical facilities and services will be available. Electrical,
water and sanitation systems involving computers may experience
malfunctions from the Y2K problem.

U.S. citizens abroad may wish to consult their insurance companies to
ascertain if policies cover Y2K-related problems.
All U.S. citizens planning to be abroad in late 1999 or early 2000 should
be aware of the potential for problems and stay informed about Y2K
preparedness in the location where they will be traveling. The Department
of State will provide more specific information periodically as it becomes
available. By October 1, 1999 our Consular Information Sheets on individual
countries will contain specific information, as available, on the Y2K
preparations in each country.

These can be accessed through the Department of State, Bureau of Consular
Affairs home page via the Internet at http://travel.state.gov. Monitor our
home page for additional information about Y2K issues and links to Y2K web
sites for foreign governments, U.S. Government agencies and international
organizations.

This Public Announcement expires March 1, 2000.

----
Department of State travel information and publications are available at
Internet address: http://travel.state.gov. U.S. travelers may hear recorded
information by calling the Department of State in Washington, D.C. at
202-647-5225 from their touchtone telephone, or receive information by
automated telefax by dialing 202-647-3000 from their fax machine.
Return to Consular Affairs Home Page
Go to Consular Information Sheets and Travel Warnings