----- Original Message -----
From: Edward Weick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>>No thanks!  I saw direct democracy in action the other night on a PBS
>>program about Rwanda: eight-hundred-thousand dead in one hundred days.
>
>Don't you think your being just a little unfair?  That was butchery, not
>democracy.  Given its background, it could have happened under any form of
>government.

That's exactly my point.  Given the opportunity, it would happen anywhere,
at any time.  There is nothing inherent in man that keeps him torturing and
murdering his fellows.  For example, the practice of human torture was
"legal"  for at least 3,000 years and formed a part of most legal codes in
Europe and the Far East.

Remember that Hitler was elected by "the people".  Moreover, the men who
ran the camps during WW2 were, for the most part, average people.

Remember the Slave trade?  Just some conscious family men trying to
make a buck and put their kids through school.

Let "the people" make all the laws?  Bad idea!

Jay