Hi Bob:

Great answer and a good read.  I have two comments to make.  New
information, whether through inductive reason, dreams, or pure creativity
can obsolete known truths - a point your references have made.  Going back
to some of the previous discussions re the "soul" that have been posted.
This body of knowledge whether from the insights of shamanism, pychotropic
drug use experiences, general religous experiences, or the study of ancient
religions such as Hindism, Buddism or North American Native cultures - has
fallen off the horizon of modern thinking.  This does not mean that the
truths, experiences, techniques are invalid, it just indicates that they
don't fit the current paradigm of the moment.  And this could change in a
moment - no matter what the rationalist, scientific, academic authorities
posit today.  The future is truly unknowable

Second, and I will repost your quote to juxataposition it with my
observation.  Much of what we assume we know, is based on imcomplete
information.  You posted:

> (ibid., p. 74)
>
> "... we might consider the sentiments in early and mid-nineteenth
> century America that eventually led to the abolition of slavery in the
> United States. Many people of course participated in leading popular
> thought and action, but we can cite a novel, Harriet Beecher Stowe's
> Uncle Tom's Cabin, and the impact of a political leader, Abraham
> Lincoln, as being among the major influences. The arguments for
> abolition arose from many facets of human experience and with varied
> kinds of religious and philosophical support. And in spite of
> counter-arguments and social inertia, a conviction that involved a
> change in assumptions about human lives did eventually carry the day.
> New social-industrial factors may well have been, as some have argued, a
> factor in the challenge. The humanist, in any event, can be responsive
> to the total situation of his times."

Thomas:

The above quote explains what most of us believe to be true about the
abolishment of slavery.  Nowhere in this account is the antecendents of the
abolishment of slavery given it's economic background as a strategy between
the two dominant powers of the early 1800"s,  France under Napolean and
England.  The following quote gives the requisite information.

Patriots and Profiteers by R.T. Naylor  Page 12

For over 150 years, the two powers hd contended for control of the world
sugar market.  France won.  By the turn of the nineteenth century, sugar
from its West Indian colonies cost 25 percent of that from the older British
plantations.  The Napoleonic Wars gave the British a chance to strike back.
First they attempted to capture St. Dominique (now Haiti), the source or
destination of 75 percent of France's colonial trade.  Unsuccessful, they
turned to indirect means.  In 1807 Britain declared the abolition of the
slave trade.  When the British captured the African slave trade posts and
commited the navy to stopping "illegal" traffic, they succceeded in cutting
off the supply to the French islands, which required several thousand new
slaves per year.  It was perhaps the world's first economic blockade
rationalized by "human rights" rhetoric.  And it worked.

Thomas:

As we muddle along with our rationalist explanations of many things, often
using selective statistics, historical interpretations, learned insights of
human behavior from the current academic theories as the rationale for our
current decisions, we refuse to acknowledge how incomplete our  background
of insight really is.  It is as if - we are playing cards in which the next
card to be dealt is truly unknown and unpredictable and yet, we assume from
the cards in our hands and the ones which have been played that we "know" or
can explain what the next card will be.

Of course, going around in this circle of destroying rational thought seems
to leave us with no way to make decisions about the future - I mean - after
all, if we can't trust the lessons of the past to provide predictability
then we are truly in a mess.  The antidote may come from less reliance on
what we know - which we often don't really know - to decisions based on
principles and values of what we hold to be our highest aspirations.  This
creates a discontinuity with all the past truths and allows us to creatively
strike out with new answers to current problems.

Respectfully,

Thomas Lunde