Chris, that's not cynicism, that's business.  One of the
reasons they can downsize so easily is because of the
excess they hire.   All of these exercises with numbers,
hours, and work weeks are just more of the same.  The
size of the company separates you so much from those
who truly control the tasks that waste is rampant.  After
a 13 year experience with academia, I decided not to
trust my work to anyone other than myself and my own
close colleagues.   My wife on the other hand worked
both as a manager and as an expert flexible for several
of the world's larger companies.   I was amazed at how
little she really needed to do to complete her job.  She
loved it however and always gave more than the system
required and ultimately cared about having.  I'm glad that
she is now my GM.   I'll take all I can get.

REH