Thomas:

I thought I would immediately judge this as bad, given my predeliction
towards simplicty.  However, as I read it through, I found myself with
conflicting pro's and con's.  On the one hand, it is a classical example of
Reagan's trickle down theory, in that somewhere down the line of excessive
consumption, the poor actually benefit by having access to clothes that they
could never afford.  And if there was not this surplus, those lives would be
more difficult and impoverished.

On the other hand, one must question a system of production, advertising,
distribution that is obviously so wasteful.  At some level, my mind is
stunned by these images the article described, even though I use second hand
clothes.  The only other image I can think of that has impacted me so
strongly is waste disposal.  In which pictures of barges filled with garbage
are towed out to sea and dumped or semi trailers are taking garbage from New
York to Virgina and filling massive landfills.

In a recent book I was reading, there were graphic depictions of animal
farms in Georgia and North Carolina in which animals are raised by the
thousands and effluent ponds are so large and smelly that whole counties
literally reek from the smell.

In the concept of markets, being the best mechanism for supplying goods and
services, one wonders were we leave the sane and responsible and enter into
the netherlands of excessive and destructive.  If this is happening in 1999,
one has to ask what the situation might be like in 2030 or 2100?

At some point there must be a place where intelligent planning is more
effective than market forces.  The question is; "How do we get from here to
there?"

Respectfully,

Thomas Lunde