Most of us have seen the bumper sticker that says, "I'd rather be
fishing."  I saw an interesting variation this week with pleasing
ambiguity:

   WORK is for people who can't FISH

I'd give a purty to know whether the driver of that car was an
idle-hours sports fisherman or a commercial fisherman (of which there
are many hereabouts.)

All the commercial fishermen (and women) know theirs is dangerous and
exhausting labor.  But all of them (or at least all of them who work
the inshore boats with a crew of from one to six) value their
independence, their proprietorhsip or partner relation with their
skipper, their part in decesison making.  It's a real defeat, a
failure, if they have to take a mere job, no matter the wages.

An almost vanished perspective.

- Mike