Christoph Reuss wrote:

> Kansas State Board of Education bans teaching of economics:
> "There's no proof of an invisible hand."
>
>     The Kansas State Board of Education voted to
>     ban economics from the curriculum of its
>     public schools citing a "profound lack of
>     scientific evidence" that Adam Smith's
>     invisible hand of economics exists.
[snip]
> ( http://www.bobsfridge.com/august.html )

I hypothesize this is a spoof.  But, in all
seriousness, I wish it was true.  I'd gladly
trade kids not being taught evolution in
exchange for them not being taught
survival-of-the-economically-fittest
(economic Darwinism).

If G-d created the world ca. 5,500 years ago,
that wouldn't hurt anybody.  Capitalism
has victims in the ~ > 10**9 range.

Real evolution is not biological but in persons' growth
in self-understanding as being self-understanding (and
mutually self-determining) beings.  I have recently
come across a beautiful (albeit "difficult") little book
on this subject by one of the truly humanistic
great philosophers of this century, Hans-Georg Gadamer:
_Hegel's Dialectic_ (Yale, 1976).

Yours in [to quote Gadamer from a different text:] "the
conversation that we are"....

\brad mccormick

--
   Prove all things; hold fast that which is good. (1 Thes 5:21)

Brad McCormick, Ed.D. / [EMAIL PROTECTED]
914.238.0788 / 27 Poillon Rd, Chappaqua, NY 10514-3403 USA
<![%THINK;[XML]]> Visit my website: http://www.cloud9.net/~bradmcc/