Hal wrote:

[snip]
> As Henry George said in his typically cogent fashion: "Why
> are people looking for jobs? Why aren't jobs looking for
> people?"
>
> We should answer that, rather than chase after unworkable
> palliatives such as job-sharing.
>
> Harry

There must be some basic physics model for this:  If
jobs chase after people, people eventually get harder to get, so the
jobs eventually chase less; then the people have a harder time getting
jobs, so *they* chase the jobs harder... (iterate ad infinitum...)

I believe there is a general rule of "the world" that all
things generally tend toward an equilibrium condition.
There is nothing "hopeful" in this observation, however, for
the equilibrium state toward which we may be tending at
present, with hyper-population, hyper-profit seeking,
hyper-pollution, etc., may be a planet which comes to
a stabile state as (To quote an old New Yorker article about the
consequences of global nuclear war:) a kingdom of
grasses and cockroaches.

\brad mccormick

--
   Prove all things; hold fast that which is good. (1 Thes 5:21)

Brad McCormick, Ed.D. / [EMAIL PROTECTED]
914.238.0788 / 27 Poillon Rd, Chappaqua, NY 10514-3403 USA
<![%THINK;[XML]]> Visit my website: http://www.cloud9.net/~bradmcc/