"Ed Weick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I would not like to see the WTO scuttled or backed off into a small corner,
>though I do recognize that it is flawed as it currently exists.  How might
>it be fixed?  In column in the Globe and Mail recently, Sylvia Ostry
>suggested that we need a WEO to handle global environmental issues and a
>revived or empowered ILO to handle global labour issues.  And on the matter
>of negotiation and dispute resolution between rich countries and poor, a
>special fund might be established which ensures a more level playing field.
>But I'm probably dreaming in technicolour here.

What is most important is that the WTO decisions be made subordinate to,
and contingent on ratification from, these far more crucial agencies.
And their power should be made retroactive to cover all WTO rulings
made before their creation. Otherwise, WTO actions should be made
subject to vote by the UN. At present, the system is analogous to
a country whose trade ministry is unaccountable to parliament.

                                   -Pete Vincent