from Toronto Star 12-13-99

                  IT'S A JUNGLE: A surreal shopping image from
                  Adbusters magazine shows how it uses slick techniques
                  to critique slick advertising.

                Artful, witty and angry

                Adbusters magazine takes aim at
                rampant consumerism

                WE ALL SAW the protesters at the
                World Trade Organization meeting in
                Seattle, but many of us didn't have a
                clue what they wanted.

                Here's an opportunity to get into the
                head of one protester, Kalle Lasn, an
                outspoken Canadian who's garnering
                an international reputation as a critic of
                capitalistic excesses.

                Lasn is the publisher of Adbusters magazine, a
10-year-old
                quarterly with 60,000 readers, including 40,000 in the
United
                States. It was named magazine of the year at the
National
                Magazine Awards in June.

                (Check out the Web site at http://www.adbusters.org.)

                His book, Culture Jam: The Uncooling Of America
                (HarperCollins, $37.95), is a manifesto for a new social

                movement taking aim at consumption.

                He lays out his ambition in the book's introduction:
``Our aim is
                to topple existing power structures and forge major
adjustments
                to the way we will live in the 21st century.

                ``We believe culture jamming will become to our era what
civil
                rights was to the '60s, what feminism was to the '70s,
what
                environmental activism was to the '80s.''

                So what is culture jamming?

                It's using the modern language of persuasion -
advertising and
                marketing - to attack the glamourization of certain
products and
                lifestyles.

                Just as cigarettes lost their allure because of social
opposition,
                Lasn hopes to demonize greasy fast food, trendy fashions
and
                gas-guzzling cars.

                He's now targeting automobiles as the next pariah
industry.

                ``We want auto executives to feel just as squeezed and
                beleaguered as tobacco executives,'' he writes.

                ``We want them to have a hard time looking their kids in
the eye
                and explaining exactly what they do for a living.''

                Culture jammers aim to ``demarket'' the car by running
anti-car
                ads, breaking the industry's uncontested, uninterrupted
50-year
                run on TV.

                So far, however, Lasn has struck out in getting his
subversive
                ads on Canadian television.

                His challenge against CBC Newsworld's rejection of his
                commercials went to the Supreme Court of Canada, which
                refused to hear his case.

                ``Corporations are doing all the talking now,'' Lasn
said in an
                interview from his home in Vancouver.

                ``We'd love to have a tussle between product marketers
and
                social marketers and let the best ideas win.''

                Only one network, Atlanta-based CNN, will accept his
ads. He
                bought $35,000 (U.S.) worth of air-time to run
anti-World Trade
                Organization messages before and during the Seattle
meeting.

                He also collected $5,000 (U.S.) from donors for three
downtown
                billboards, which protesters walked by every day.

                Lasn went to Seattle, with five others from his
Adbusters Media
                Foundation, and, yes, he did get tear gassed.

                ``Your eyes just water, you can't see and you can hardly

                breathe; your anger wells up,'' he says.

                ``It was an experience I'll never forget. It had a
radicalizing
                effect.''

                At 57, Lasn was older than most demonstrators.

                He jokes he wore his baseball cap backward, not to be
cool, but
                to hide his bald spot.

                He was born in Soviet-controlled Estonia, and finds the
same
                censorship of subversive ideas at work in North America.

                Westerners watched the Soviet Union fall apart with a
sense of
                vindication, he says, but don't recognize their own lack
of media
                space to challenge corporate agendas.

                ``In the former Soviet Union, you weren't allowed to
speak out
                against the government. In North America today, you
cannot
                speak out against the sponsors.''

                As a social critic, Lasn is angry and extreme, and makes
gross
                generalizations: A free, authentic life is no longer
possible in
                America today; the automobile is the most destructive
product
                ever produced; consumer capitalism is by its very nature

                unethical.

                But he's also a visionary who's capable of shaking up
our
                perceptions and making us see things in a new way.

                I like his optimism. He truly believes he and his
cohorts can
                launch another revolution. No fight is too small, Lasn
says.

                At one end of the continuum are little tussles on the
phone and
                in the bank, and at the other end are critical choices
about
                genetic engineering, trade rules and global warming.

                His U.S. publisher, William Morrow & Co., has great
hopes for
                Culture Jam and has paid the author a hefty advance of
                $125,000 (Canadian).

                The first printing of 50,000 came out a week before the
Battle in
                Seattle.

                And the book is now on sale at Chapters for 20 per cent
off.