As Ray Harrell has noted in a recent post there are possibly thousands
(millions?) of ways to interpret a piece of text, depending on its length and
complexity.

Now my interpretation of Mike Hollinshead's excerpt on the "Myth of
Comparative Advantage" is not that free trade is poppycock, but rather that
nation-states have screwed it up!  "Any country which locks itself into a free
trade agreement now" is blind to the chaotic nature of the global economy. If
that is the case then perhaps we should welcome attempts by the WTO and
supporters of the MAI to undermine (probably not intentionally!) and
ultimately dismantle this system of states.

However, Mike was right on in identifying the static assumptions of the
principle of comparative advantage as a major shortcoming. But such a flaw is
not beyond remediation. One simply has to recognize that decisions based on
comparative advantage are under continous review (though not viewed with that
lingo!). One can see the evidence for this in the increasing rate at which
companies form, merge, disappear and transform. Dynamism is in.

Many factors influence changes in comparative advantage: climatic change, soil
depletion, rising/falling transportation costs, cost of production, cost of
living, etc. All of these are vulnerable to technological change (from
electromechanical to bioelectronic and beyond) and, indeed, it is arguable
that this is the most important contributor to dynamic shifts in comparative
advantage. We are entering a Kaleidoscopic Economy in which changing patterns
of relationships must be matched by equally complex systems of pattern
recognition (Ashby's "Law of Requisite Variety"
<http://pespmc1.vub.ac.be/ASC/Law_varie.html>).

If not nation-states then what should (might) be the unit of decision-making?
In a borderless world embedded in a system of pervasive computing it may be
the individual producer or a team of such producers, who may be a
self-employed legal entity or a component of a larger entity. Such "entities"
may, in turn, emerge as a result of the "falling away" of the chrysalic
corporations which nurtured them (by building the global systems which their
successors take for granted!). Rather than the corporation as individual what
we may have is the individual as corporation.

Comparative advantage in its most optimistic interpretation enables the least
among us to make as worthwhile a contribution as the most talented. In that
thought is perhaps buried a rationale for basic income.

Bob

--
http://publish.uwo.ca/~mcdaniel/