Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1999 17:33:11 -0500
From: Bob McDaniel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The Myth of Comparative Advantage, or "Free trade will
maximizeyour
 future wealth, poppycock!"
SNIP

Edward said:
This is an illuminating thread!

One of the major powers of executive governance is the power of
interpretation. Another is being custodians of "official information". The
second is the power exercised by the civil service over politicians. The
"official information" is never divulged, rather kept as did the Wizard of Oz"

Picking up on "but rather that nation-states have screwed it up!" and
"If not nation-states then what should (might) be the unit of decision-making?

I recall a quote, (I looked it up) as follows. "Subsidiarity", Defined in
the Papal encyclical "Quadragisemo Anno", as quoted in "The Age of Paradox"
by Charles Handy". "It is an injustice, a grave evil and a disturbance of
right order for a large and higher organization to arrogate to itself
functions which can be performed efficiently by smaller, lower bodies...".

If that principal is followed there would be a great deal less "governing
problems."

The purpose of increasingly larger "governing units" is again the problem
of the system of money.
We see it in the (Ont CA) amalgamation of municipalities. We see it in the
continuing protestations by politicians that "I can't do anything about it
because of factors outside my control, a higher level of government,
external powers." (WTO?)

The fact is that the anomaly in the monetary system forces "grow or die"
One of Maynard Keynes quotes, when asked about the long term consequences
of deficit financing, is reputed to have said, "in the long run, we are all
dead."

The fact is that the value of the deficit was wiped out with (1) inflation
(max 6% bank interest, from '50 until banking deregulation in '68.) and (2)
increased production.
Inflation does not just wipe out financial (money) assets, it also wipes
out financial (consumer?) debts. That kept the production pot boiling and
unprecedented prosperity.

Peace and goodwill

Ed Goertzen,
Oshawa,
L1G 2S2,
       SIGNATURE - "Subsidiarity", Defined in the Papal encyclical