[Please excuse cross-posting]

RC36 - CALL FOR PAPERS
While there is a wide range of differences within Marxism, and between
Marxists and progressives, one of our common concerns is alienation.
While
for Marx, alienation was rooted in wage labor and the estrangement
between
the producer and his/her products was manifested in  the truncation of
self,
the loss of species being and loss of community.  But in the
contemporary age
in which globalized capital is now the predominant historical context,
we
communicate by internet and locate ourselves in virtual communities, it
becomes necessary to rethink the nature of alienation.

On August 3d and 4th, just before the ASA, RC 36, Alienation Research
and
Theory, will hold its bi-annual meeting in Washington DC. We will be
meeting
at the Marriott Courtyard-accross from the asa Hilton hotel-and we have
better rate.

Our theme is Mapping Alienation. We cordially invite you to join us in
this
endeavor.  What are the distinctive features of contemporary alienation,
what
are its dimensions, what are its linkages to classical alienation
theories
and critiques.   What are the appropriate strategies to overcome
alienation.
  If you would like to join us, please send a 1 page abstract
(preferably by
email) by March 1st.
Lauren Langman, Treasurer, Program organizer
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Devorah Fishman Kalekin, President
[EMAIL PROTECTED]