At 05:06 PM 1/12/2000 +0100, S. Lerner wrote:

>Crime of the Century
>

>The corporate century ends with private enterprise unanswerable to the
public.

etc

This piece intrigues me, and I have forwarded it to other Listservs

To me the two key paragraphs are:

"In the beginning, we the citizenry created the corporation to do the
public's work build a canal or a road and then go out of business. We asked
people with money to build the canal or road. If anything went wrong, the
liability of these people with money * shareholders, we call them today *
would be limited to the amount of money they invested and no more. This
limited liability corporation is the bedrock of the market economy. The
markets would deflate like a punctured balloon if corporations were
stripped of limited liability for shareholders."

[Does anyone know the original reference for this paragraph? -- CS]

and

"Let us not forget that corporate control was never inevitable. They took it
from us, and it is our responsibility to take it back."

These paragraphs have strong  implications for the balance between the
power of governments and Corporations
i.e. the definition of Democracy

Obviously, I believe that, over time, Direct Democracy could do much to
re-balance this situation. I know of no other change to our governance
system that has the potential to do so

Colin Stark
Canadians for Direct Democracy
Vancouver, B.C.