Keith Hudson:

>the basic elements of a techno-culture, like all culture, is laid down so
>early in a child's life, that street kids wouldn't have a chance of
>establishing a toehold in a high-tech society. However, if our increasingly
>high-tech society collapses -- and that's always a possibility to bear in
>mind -- then the 'other' population of highly resourceful people (if it
>then existed) would certainly have a better chance of surviving.

Perhaps you're right.  However, I would suggest that children are pretty
flexible, and that the most important thing is not necessarily the content
of what they learn when they are very young, but the circumstances under
which they learn it.  A child who is abused and traumatized at an early age
would find it far more difficult to learn and socialize than a child who is
loved.  The latter should have far less difficulty with any content than the
former.  Most kids who live on the street would not likely have had a good
start.

Ed Weick