Lawry

Favoring those who live in one's geographic neighborhood over those who don't is, at best, capricious

arthur

How about favouring those in your family over those who aren't?  Immediate family?  Extended family?

Greetings, all

I do not view myself as idealistic; I view myself as intensely pragmatic. The species-perspective is the only one that is, IMO, truly pragmatic. All else is short term gains and the infliction of suffering.

My neighbors have been suffering for centuries, as they do now. They include: Vietnamese rice farmers smitten by US napalm bombs; AIDS victims, victims because others could not get HIV testing; American natives, decimated by European colonizers; Cathars, destroyed by the Rome Papacy; UAL older workers; Iraqi children, held captive to the US-driven trade embargo; European gypsies, persecuted by local and national governments; Rwandan Tutsi's, butchered by their fellow countrymen; children in Mali, ravaged by various 'exotic' diseases; American kids who will go deaf because they listen to R&R too loudly; etc.  I have lots of neighbors. It is hard for me to say who is the lost and least deserving of better.

Overall, it is, IMO, the obligation of older generations to leave to younger ones a better world.  An obligation, not a choice.

Favoring those who live in one's geographic neighborhood over those who don't is, at best, capricious.

It would be easy for me to favor my immediate family and neighbors, but it would harm my ability to hand on to future generations a better world.  Better to raise the children to have a pan-species perspective and responsibility.  Maybe they'll have a chance of getting it right.

Cheers,

Lawry