From: Darryl or Natalia [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Saturday, May 26, 2007 3:41 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [Futurework] Silent Spring is a case study in the tragedy of
goodintentions

Darryl says that if there are such studies, they are not well known. Given
the success of beneficials introduction in so many other applications, even
good old Prince Albert's solution of introducing sparrow hawks to get rid of
the Crystal Palace's trapped birds, it's hard to believe that it hasn't been
tried. It is likely that, as with North American efforts, much is done on a
local scale that we don't realize because the problem never spirals into
epidemic proportions. We tend to hear mostly about western solutions because
they now control more affected regions' economies.

The very best beneficials are going to be whatever is in the affected region
that feeds on the mosquito larvae. Dragonfly nymphs for sure, possibly water
beetles or boatmen. Introduction of beneficials must be frequent under warm
conditions. Mosquito nets are effective, and would spare millions of lives
just on the basis of low counts of actual malaria carrying mosquitoes. It's
exposure to high numbers which increase chances of infection.

The biggest problem in the tropics is mostly western corporate interference
applying their solutions to something that used to take care of itself, but
has fallen into their lap because of corporate need to infiltrate these
regions for profit. They change the delicate balance, then miscreate the
solutions in the only way they know how -- with fast-acting chemicals that
result in eradication of the beneficials that best address the problem,
thereby increasing numbers of the anopheles genus. Science will never
eradicate this fluke; it's here for the same reason as everything else which
has life. We can only act and react responsibly.

Natalia

Lawrence de Bivort wrote:

Very interesting, Natalia.

What kind of beneficials might work in tropical areas? Would they be a
one-time application, or periodic application?  I'm sure experiments have
been tried with this approach. Do you have a sense of how well they worked,
or whether they had negative consequences?

Many thanks....

Lawry

  _____