Hi, Gail --

> This may be a bit much to ask (and indeed is half in jest)...

Oh, good.  Then you will not take it amiss if my reply is also half in
jest.

> I find myself, among others, having promised to produce four
> sentences...

Half in jest, I have to say that no one will ever read such
stupifyingly convoluted sentences carefully unless contractually bound
to do so or (as in my case) there is ego gratification to be had just
in proving that one still can.  Recall Arthur's post:

         Infomania is the mental state of continuous stress and
         distraction caused by the combination of queued messaging
         overload...

> ...comments on the following four sentences would be greatly
> appreciated.

I've taken the liberty of severely editing your four sentences:

  1.   The world is unstable and the future promises to be chaotic,
       yet we find it hard to believe it can get any worse than it already is
       though it very well may.

  2.   We have to learn to do necessary and useful stuff for
       ourselves, invest in the tools to to it; do it for ourselves;
       do it for or with our neighbors when or as appropriate; and
       encourage our neighbors to reciprocate.

  3.   See 2.  Doing this will make us happier and better off in
       general, especially if all our friends and neighbors do the
       same.

  4.   If we do this, we can hope that work will come to be much like
       we imagine it to have been in an idealized small, mid-19th
       century New England town and strive to make it so.

If the criteria of your group are not too strict, you can append your
original, carefully constructed but mind boggling sentences as
footnotes.

:-)
- Mike

                                                           /V\
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                     /( )\