Ed,

One need not be interested in "digging up gold" to use gold as a
measure of value.

Of the three functions of "money" a "store of value" is really
only applicable when gold (or some other commodity) is money.

Of the other two functions, a "measure of value' is well
satisfied by gold. About half the gold mined goes for monetary
purposes, while the rest is used for adornment and making things
we own seem superior (it also has some technical uses). In any
event, gold is constantly in the market so we can continually
relate it to all other things in the market - an invaluable
characteristic.

The amount mined each year is a very small fraction of the total
gold in the world, so additional gold 'inflating the measure'
isn't a problem.

It's not too good for the third function - the medium of
exchange, but that is well dealt with by the use of checks and
credit cards - all written of course in terms of the measure of
value. Perhaps the only measure we can trust is gold, but if a
better one turns up the market will choose it.

Dollar bills are certainly useful for small transactions like
buying ice cream - perhaps coins are better.

But, in practice we choose our personally manufactured 'exchange
media' for buying things. (Unless one is a drug dealer with large
cash transactions which neither of us is, and is perhaps why we
are poor.)

Our checks and credit card slips travel through banks for which
service we shouldn't deny the banks a shekel or two. It is
certainly cheaper than the cost of the State issuance of steadily
depleting dollars.

So, don't worry about "digging up gold". Someone else will do it
and we could simply make use of the advantage of the yellow metal
for our measure of value.

Harry