From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] on behalf of Darryl or Natalia
Sent: Thu 11/22/2007 1:04 PM
To: futurework
Subject: [Futurework] future work in Pharma & allopathy

>From the first of two articles on adverse drug reactions in older Americans,
>with link to the full text with a summary of adverse reactions & the drugs
>that cause them.

http://worstpills.org/public/page.cfm?op_id=5

With the amount of business (from meds, walkers, wheelchairs, diapers, rest
home stays, etc.) and resulting labour to treat adverse reactions, how can we
even dream of looking at alternatives? So many manufacturers and care providers
would be out of work!

Natalia Kuzmyn
*********************************

Each year, more than 9.6 million adverse drug reactions occur in older
Americans. One study found that 37 percent of adverse reactions in the elderly
were not reported to the doctor, presumably because patients did not realize
the reactions were due to the drug. This is not too surprising considering that
most doctors admitted they did not explain possible adverse effects to their
patients.1 <http://worstpills.org/public/page.cfm?op_id=5#fn1>

We based the following national estimates on well-conducted studies, mainly in
the United States:

*
        Each year, in hospitals alone, there are 28,000 cases of
life-threatening heart toxicity from adverse reactions to digoxin, the most
commonly used form of digitalis (drugs that regulate the speed and strength of
heart beats) in older adults.2
<http://worstpills.org/public/page.cfm?op_id=5#fn2>  Since as many as 40% or
more of these people are using this drug unnecessarily (see discussion on
digoxin <http://worstpills.org/go.cfm?type=monograph&id=212> ), many of these
injuries are preventable.
*
        Each year 41,000 older adults are hospitalized-and 3,300 of these
die-from ulcers caused by NSAIDs (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, usually
for treatment of arthritis).3
<http://worstpills.org/public/page.cfm?op_id=5#fn3>  Thousands of younger
adults are hospitalized. (See list of drugs that can cause gastrointestinal
bleeding <http://worstpills.org/go.cfm?type=druginducedchart&id=268> .)
*
        At least 16,000 injuries from auto crashes each year involving older
drivers are attributable to the use of psychoactive drugs, specifically
benzodiazepines and tricyclic antidepressants.4
<http://worstpills.org/public/page.cfm?op_id=5#fn4>  Psychoactive drugs are
those that affect the mind or behavior. (See list of drugs that can cause
automobile accidents <http://worstpills.org/go.cfm?type=druginducedchart&id=85>
.)
*
        Each year 32,000 older adults suffer from hip fractures attributable to
drug-induced falls, resulting in more than 1,500 deaths.5
<http://worstpills.org/public/page.cfm?op_id=5#fn5> , 6
<http://worstpills.org/public/page.cfm?op_id=5#fn6>  In one study, the main
categories of drugs responsible for the falls leading to hip fractures were
sleeping pills and minor tranquilizers (30%), antipsychotic drugs (52%), and
antidepressants (17%). All of these categories of drugs are often prescribed
unnecessarily, especially in older adults. (See section on sleeping pills and
tranquilizers <http://worstpills.org/go.cfm?type=otherpage&id=20> ,
antipsychotic drugs <http://worstpills.org/go.cfm?type=otherpage&id=21> , and
antidepressants <http://worstpills.org/go.cfm?type=otherpage&id=22> ; see also
list of drugs that can cause hip fractures because of drug-induced falls
<http://worstpills.org/go.cfm?type=druginducedchart&id=83> .)
*       Approximately 163,000 older Americans suffer from serious mental
impairment (memory loss, dementia) either caused or worsened by drugs.7
<http://worstpills.org/public/page.cfm?op_id=5#fn7> , 8
<http://worstpills.org/public/page.cfm?op_id=5#fn8>  In a study in the state of
Washington, in 46% of the patients with drug-induced mental impairment, the
problem was caused by minor tranquilizers or sleeping pills; in 14%, by high
blood pressure drugs; and in 11%, by antipsychotic drugs. (See list of drugs
that can cause or worsen dementia
<http://worstpills.org/go.cfm?type=druginducedchart&id=76> .)
*       Two million older Americans are addicted or at risk of addiction to
minor tranquilizers or sleeping pills because they have used them daily for at
least one year, even though there is no acceptable evidence that the
tranquilizers are effective for more than four months, and the sleeping pills
for more than 30 days.9 <http://worstpills.org/public/page.cfm?op_id=5#fn9>
*       Drug-induced tardive dyskinesia has developed in 73,000 older adults;
this condition is the most serious and common adverse reaction to antipsychotic
drugs, and it is often irreversible. Tardive dyskinesia is characterized by
involuntary movements of the face, arms and legs. About 80% of older adults
receiving antipsychotic drugs do not have schizophrenia or other conditions
that justify the use of such powerful drugs, so many of these patients have
serious side effects from drugs that were prescribed inappropriately.10
<http://worstpills.org/public/page.cfm?op_id=5#fn10>  (See list of drugs that
can cause tardive dyskinesia or other movement disorders
<http://worstpills.org/go.cfm?type=druginducedchart&id=80> .)
*
        Drug-induced parkinsonism has developed in 61,000 older adults also due
to the use of antipsychotic drugs such as haloperidol (HALDOL), chlorpromazine
(THORAZINE), thioridazine (MELLARIL), trifluoperazine (STELAZINE), and
fluphenazine (PROLIXIN). There are other parkinsonism-inducing drugs as well,
such as metoclopramide (REGLAN), prochlorperazine (COMPAZINE), and promethazine
(PHENERGAN), prescribed for gastrointestinal problems.11
<http://worstpills.org/public/page.cfm?op_id=5#fn11>  (See list of drugs that
can cause parkinsonism
<http://worstpills.org/go.cfm?type=druginducedchart&id=79> .)

A serious problem exists because both doctors and patients do not realize that
practically any symptom in older adults and in many younger adults can be
caused or worsened by drugs.12
<http://worstpills.org/public/page.cfm?op_id=5#fn12>  Some doctors and patients
assume that what are actually adverse drug reactions are simply signs of aging.
As a result, many serious adverse reactions are entirely overlooked or not
recognized until they have caused significant harm.

The drugs responsible for the most serious adverse reactions in older adults
are tranquilizers, sleeping pills, and other mind-affecting drugs;
cardiovascular drugs such as high blood pressure drugs, digoxin, and drugs for
abnormal heart rhythms;13 <http://worstpills.org/public/page.cfm?op_id=5#fn13>
and drugs for treating intestinal problems.

Mental Adverse Drug Reactions: depression, hallucinations, confusion, delirium,
memory loss, impaired thinking

Nervous System Adverse Drug Reactions: parkinsonism, involuntary movements of
the face, arms, legs (tardive dyskinesia), sexual dysfunction

Gastrointestinal Adverse Drug Reactions: loss of appetite, constipation

Urinary Problems: difficulty urinating, leaking of urine

Dizziness on Standing

Falls Sometimes Resulting in Hip Fractures

Automobile Accidents Resulting in Injury

avast! Antivirus <http://www.avast.com/> : Outbound message clean.

Virus Database (VPS): 071122-0, 11/22/2007
Tested on: 11/22/2007 10:05:01 AM