Brad,

Don't blame Keith for what I wrote.

When the war was over, the women went back home to take care of the
children - a full time job if there ever is one.

And that was what "our boys won".

However, something they knew nothing about - Ricardo's Iron Law of Wages
was working - as it always does.

And now, we have more than half the housewives working - not to get a
better life, but to stay level (or even drop back).

I feel Brad, you are pointing yourself in the wrong direction, when you
seek to improve things. Before there can be a just distribution of the
incredible productivity we are capable of - we have to produce it.

Don't knock the production of the big pie - worry about who gets the slices.

People don't talk about the "skill level norms (along with the relative
integrity of the work process)" - they talk about being paid for what they
do and they don't care about the "integrity" so long as they are paid well.

Brad wrote:

Keith Hudson wrote:
[snip]
 > > This revealed a procedure that is used often to get things done when
 > >there is a shortage of properly educated people. You'll recall that during
 > >wartime, housewives were recruited to build aircraft. The job was broken
 > >down into bite-sized chunks, with each girl doing her part. Then the parts
 > >were put together by engineers, until voila - a Spitfire.
[snip]

When the war was over, did the skill level norms (along with
the relative integrity of the work process) go back up again,
or was the change permanent -- part of what "our boys" *won*
for themselves, their families and friends, and for posterity?

(As I don't think Darwin said, but he should have:) "Crescit eundo"
(the process grows by feeding on itself).

+\brad mccormick